The drive from Luang Prabang to Vientiane was stunning for the first couple of hours. We were literally moving at a crawl around hairpin turns on the edge of mountains looking out over bush and the occasional cluster of houses made in hut like fashion. Kids were playing as they were bathing and men were cutting each others hair outside. The views really were breathtaking, despite the haze hanging over everything due to burning season. Even in the cities, in many ways, Laos still feels untouched. The local people are still going about their daily business, almost seeming as though they are oblivious to the descent of tourist swarms upon their hometowns.
As we got closer to Vientiane, the housing styles changed and were much more frequent. A lot of houses had parties going, backyard BBQ style, complete with 노래방! People looked so relaxed and happy. I couldn't help but smile as we drove past.
While the drive was certainly scenic, I can't tell you how happy Anne and I were when we got in to town early! We'd been on the bus since 8am and were ready to see the back of it! We got a tuktuk to our guesthouse without any dramas and were glad to see we were given a room with twin beds (I keep requesting this, but we don't always get it- and between you and me, I think I'm one 'fluff' away from Anne smothering me in my sleep- so it's best if we can sleep separately^^). Our room is basic, what we expected for the price, but the grubby linen and towels were a surprise, as we're the mosquitoes in the bathroom flying around the corpses of their cousins- not our favourite guest house....
Anyway, I'm glad we made it here in one piece and looking forward to exploring the city tomorrow!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment