Monday, 4 March 2013

The one in which I cut off all my hair!

I've been wrestling with the idea of cutting all mohair off for a while. I kept going back and forth on it and even just had a trim to see if I'd just be happy with that.
I've wanted to cut my hair because I'm sick of trying to deal with the static mess that my hair has been for ages and I seem to just tie it back 90% of the time anyway. I also don't want to deal with hair while traveling.
But- I wanted to go short- super short- and I've been nervous fora few different reasons. Firstly, like many women in society, I guess I equate femininity with longer hair. I've had short hair in the past and I felt really unattractive and myself esteem took quite a knock. I was also worried that a short do would make my double/ triple chin/s more prominent and make me look even fatter. We all know that fat women shouldn't have short hair - it's just a thing that permeates our society. And the one that became a sticking point was that I was worried about how I would be received by others- guys if I'm being honest. Would guys look at me and see a fat butch bitch?
In the end I realized that I would feel like a coward if I didn't do something purely because of what I was scared guys might say or do. I actively encourage my friends to do whatever it is that makes them happy and to do what is right for them and screw whatever other people think- how could I look them in the eye if I didn't do the same?
So....here it is
My first ever faux hawk! I went to a great hairdresser in Namcheon, who had studied hair stuff in London for a few years and had a really great understanding of western culture and a knack for the funky stuff. I accidentally turned up nearly an hour before he opened but he took me anyway and it was one of the best hair salon experiences I've ever had! He was a great, sociable guy and we chatted comfortably the whole time i was there. He made sure to double check thatI was sure I wanted to go so short but not in a way that made me second guess it. He talked about how feminine it still was, despite being a short cut and showed me how to style it ( wake up, run wax through it- voila!)
If you're in looking fora gat hairdresser - Na at The Hair is awesome! Head to geumnyeonsan subway station. Come out exit 6 and head straight. Hang a right at Tous le jour, then go up the hilly road and hang a right at the second street. It's a big wooden place that's joined to a coffee shop.

1 comment: