Tuesday, 19 March 2013

Patong Beach, Phuket

I can't say this is one of my favourites, actually, I'm pretty keen to get outta here. We decided to stay in the Patong area so we could do a little shopping, which we have, but after being in such beautiful places and bumming around on stunning beaches, Patong just seems dirty and smelly.(Not to mention, this seems to be THE place to be for all of then 'brohams')
But we've made the best of it.

We celebrated St. Pat's (our het life partner anniversary, btw) at The Irish Times, an Irish bar in Jungceylon (the main shopping center) and tried not to dwell on how much we were missing Korea and our friends there.
Over the last two days, we've taken advantage of having goodies from back home that we didn't have in Korea. We've been terrible travelers as far as our eating goes, making the most of Subway (ooooh the cookies are soooo good!) and enjoying the goodies at the supermarket- welcome back to my life Cheesels and Twisties and Reese's!!!!
Like a 'picnic' but with peanut butter! YUM!!
Things seem to be a little expensive here (although most things seem expensive when you have a daily budget of $50^^ ) But both Anne and I made some purchases we were happy with at the market. We had seen beautiful, colorful bags in Ao Nang that are made in Chiang mai, and Anne has had her heart set on buying one since. We had a great time haggling over the price of one of these bags with a young guy who I'd guess is maybe 14 or 15 years old. His family are originally Nepalese, he grew up in Myanmar, and now lives in Phuket. We chatted a little during our haggling and by the end of our exchange he was calling me Mum^^. I collect kids everywhere! This encounter was a powerful reminder that everyone has a story and I love hearing them!

Later this afternoon, we are taking the overnight bus to Bangkok. A minivan will pick us up at 3:30 and take us to Phuket town, where we will switch to a big bus for the 11 hour trip. After the experiences we've had so far with the discrepancy between travel time quoted and actual travel time, I'm a little nervous that we may end up on the bus for days! Until our van comes, Anne and I are just chilling out in a local cafe with this little lady (poor thing! I just don't think orange is her colour ^^ ) and catching up on blogging etc. Fingers crossed, my next post will be from Bangkok!







1 comment:

  1. I think I laughed out loud twice reading this! ... And I couldn't agree more with getting to know people's stories! It makes all the difference when you're traveling, doesn't it?! Miss you two!!! Hope you make it to Bangkok too.

    ReplyDelete