Wednesday, 20 March 2013

First Day in Bangkok

We found our hotel without too much travel, and enjoyed seeing the monks on their morning alms walk (pretty sure one group thought we were stalking them at one stage). We weren't expecting to be able to check in till later in the day but we got super lucky and our room was ready! I could have kissed the concierge!!! After the overnight bus and walking around with our packs in the growing humidity of the morning, I was feeling pretty ripe and super excited to jump in the shower!
I'm really happy with our hotel. It's in a convenient location and is clean!

After freshening up, Anne and I headed to The Grand Palace and Wat Pho. We walked around the palace (totally on purpose^^) and found our way in to Wat Pho. It's my favourite of the temples here in Bangkok. I love the detail in the pagodas and wall reliefs around the compound, and the reclining Buddha is really impressive. Within the same room, the walls are covere in artwork depicting scenes of daily life and Buddhist teachings. It's quite beautiful.

Within the Wat, dress codes need to be followed, covered shoulders and knees and general 'modesty' should be observed. It really surprised me that so many people either hadn't been aware of this, or had disregarded the dress code. These lucky fellows had to wear a stylish robe supplied by the Wat. (The bulk purchase of these robes has made some clothing warehouse owner very happy- who knows how long those neon robes had been there before the people of the Wat came along and said 'Just what we're looking for! We'll take them all' ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

Anne's camera was feeling a little 'exhausted', so we came back to the hotel to cool off.... And take a nap ( cos that's how we roll^^). Anne had read good things about an Indian restaurant nearby, called Bombay Blues, so, feeling refreshed, we went searching for it. After walking nearly the entire length of the street it was said to be on, and checking every side alley way, we finally spotted it! The restaurant had a great atmosphere and the food was good, they even had chocolate naan on the menu! But I dont think any restaurant will live up to Taj Mahal in PNU.

*I had a tough time working through minding my business as we had a full table of English teachers next to us, complete with one lovely fellow who continually harangued one of the girls about trying the hookah. The whole exchange was none of my business, but I had a really tough time not getting angry with this guy. No matter how many times the girl said she didn't want to smoke, he kept on and on. It infuriates me that men think that it's ok to keep pushing women to try and get their way. I consider it a personal achievement that I didn't say anything to him, but am a little bummed with myself for not being able to block him out better.
















No comments:

Post a Comment