I've had 3 beers (they're only .75c during happy hour), and I'm a lil tipsy. We don't drink much these days, except for maybe during happy hour...in each city we visit....
Anyway, Kampot in a nutshell;
Blissful guesthouse is owned by an absolute tosser. Seriously, he's a miserly shitbag. We had bedbugs in the first room we were given. We told a staff member about it as discretely as possible, so as not to effect their business. The staff member was great- super sweet and helpful. Our room was switched and we were told we wouldn't be charged for that night. Our new room was the 'deluxe' shithole, I mean, room, an extra building length from the 2 toilet/showers they have to cater for a whole dorm plus a few extra private rooms. We felt lucky. Once we'd bagged up the clothing that was potentially contaminated by the Blissful Bed Bugs, we went to the hostel restaurant for the beer the staff member had offered us. We ordered our beer and when she told the other staff member not to mark it on our tab, the owner (who, at this point hadn't even spoken to us, not even a 'hi guys, sorry bout the whole 'infested bedding' situation) told her that she couldn't give us free beer, (which, at he time was only 75cents a pint due to happy hour) as we were already getting a night free... What a winner! Wonder if he's single??? Anyway, so that happened.
We went to EpicArts Cafe, a cafe that trains and employs locals who are deaf or are disabled. We love to support positive social endeavors, so we went for lunch. Big mistake. If you're in kampot- DO go for bagels or their lime& mint iced drink, DO NOT order anything else. I ordered coffee and was given a mug with leftover food grossness in it and the food we ordered was mostly inedible.
For second lunch, we went to rikitikitavi, a restaurant and guesthouse by the river, recommended by globetrottergirls. We split the veggie burritos, which were excellent!!
We spent today at Cafe Espresso. It was amazing!!!! Great coffee, even better food ( I had the lemon & sugar crepes, latte and a veggie burger- dont judge me, we stayed the entire day and I ate it over an extended period of time!). Anne and I relaxed and read, watched a guy paint something artsy on one of the walls, and respectfully observed a local funeral taking place next door *
Anne also helped me discover, thanks to what I'm sure is a very accurate and scientifically founded, quiz, that, if I were a dinosaur, I would be a.........TRICERATOPS! (I totally agree)
We're spending our last night here making the most of happy hour. Tomorrow morning we are catching the bus to Siem Reap, home of Angkor Wat! I can't wait!!!
* just a hint to other travelers, such as the d-bag at the cafe today~ respectfully observing the funeral rituals of the country you're visiting DOES NOT mean standing out front of the cafe taking pictures/video while devastated family members walk in procession around the vehicle bearing the coffin their loved one will be buried in. Seriously, some people need a slap upside the head!


No comments:
Post a Comment