Tuesday, 28 July 2009

Ride her good!!!

Last weekend I headed up to Yeongju, a 5 hour train ride from Busan to see my buddy Everlynn for her birthday. I had a blast. We ate mountains of pizza, went out for some Nori Bang (Karaoke Room) and just enjoyed each others wonderful company.
I usually sleep during the train rides we take, but this time managed to stay awake for most of it and was glad. As we travelled further from Busan the landscape and scenery changed. Less buildings, more mountains, small lakes, rice fields and more traditional style housing.
After a week of wallowing in a I hate Korea funk, I took the time on the train ride to remember why I am here. It sounds really corny I know, but while I was just sitting back and taking in the beautiful scenery I thought about how awesome it is that I have been able to take a year out of real life and immerse myself in another culture.
Having a weekend with friends was really relaxing and really helped me to unwind and let go of the negativity. (Not all of it- but alot)
I am seeing things that many other people wont get to see and experience and I feel really happy.
I started to consider recent events that have been pissing me off from a different perspective decided that I can either embrace the differences that im encountering or let them drive me insane for the next 7 months.
A very wise and knowledgeable cheese head friend of mine helped point this out to me in the eloquent phrase that is now my Korean mantra

You've got 7 months - Ride her good!
So, big thanks to Anne for helping to set me back on track! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment