First sunrise of 2013 (Ain't it purdy?!)
Some thoughts about the new year~
This is our last New Year in SoKo and it's really bittersweet. We had the most calm New Year's Eve in our history and finally made it out to see the first sunrise of the new year! This is a milestone as we've had it on our list since we arrived!
This is our last New Year in SoKo and it's really bittersweet. We had the most calm New Year's Eve in our history and finally made it out to see the first sunrise of the new year! This is a milestone as we've had it on our list since we arrived!
The year to come is packed with exciting adventures and some much needed time with friends back home in Aus, but it also means saying goodbye to the lives we've made here in Busan. Moving to another country is such a surreal experience.
When I look back over the last four years I barely recognise the person I was when I first came here. Elements of that person are still with me, but I certainly don't go out partying till the sun comes up anymore!! I still carry many of the 'issues' that came with me as invisible baggage, but I've also learned A LOT about life and myself along the way. I've met such a variety of interesting people, and made truly valuable friends that, while we will be in different parts of the world, will remain my friends for years to come.
Throwing yourself into a situation where you know nothing an nobody is terrifying and also soooo affirming. Without realising it at the time, you develop confidence in your ability to navigate new and difficult situations, you make new friends - how often, when you live in the same place, doing the same things, day in and day out, do you make new friends? For me- the friends I've made are the single most amazing aspects of living in Korea.
Our 'group' is such a diverse bunch of amazing people, all bringing different views and personalities to the table, but we work! And it's especially affirming for me- I love these people! On the days when I feel down, I consider how much I care about and respect these amazing friends, and think 'if such awesome individuals see something worthwhile in me, surely it has to be there' and it gives me a lift. This is what makes going somewhere new so valuable and experience, but also what makes it so hard when it comes time to leave! Lately it's been hard not be a creeper and just randomly hug the crap out of my friends, to try and hold onto them as tight as I can before I have to say goodbye.
I'm looking forward to bumming around SE Asia with my het life partner before starting a new chapter in Gautemala, but the coming weeks of packing up and saying goodbye are gonna suck hard~
No comments:
Post a Comment